Without prayer in the Christian life there can be no fellowship with the Lord or power for testimony in our lives. Prayer is the life-breath of the Christian. God speaks to us through His Word, the Bible. We respond to Him through prayer and praise. It has been said that a prayerless Christian is a powerless Christian. Prayer is our direct line with heaven. Prayer is a communication process that allows us to talk to God! He wants us to communicate with Him, like a person-to-person phone call.
Jesus set the perfect example of obedience in prayer. Although His day was filled from morning to night with many pressures and responsibilities, He made prayer a top priority. If Jesus was so dependent upon His fellowship in prayer alone with His Father, how much more you and I should spend time alone with God.
How do I pray?
In Matthew 6:5-13, Jesus is teaching on prayer. Looking through this passage could be a great mini-study for you. Look at the different elements of Jesus’ instructed prayer and suggest it as a model for your own prayers:
- v. 9 Praise and adore the Father
- v. 10 Ask that God’s will be done
- v. 11 Ask for what we need
- v. 12 Confession of our sin
- v. 13 Ask for God’s help as we are tempted
For further examples of prayer in Scripture, please read the passages below. And may God bless you in your desire to draw closer to Him in prayer.
- Worship Psalm 92:5
- Confession Psalm 51:1-4
- Dedication 2 Chronicles 6:40-42
- Intercession 1 Timothy 2:1-8
- Spiritual Warfare Ephesians 6:12, 18
- Fasting Acts 14:23
- Thanksgiving Philippians 4:6
- Healing James 5:13-15
At Berean Baptist Church, we meet to pray on the following day and times:
- Monday Night Prayer at the church: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Tuesday Fasting & Prayer at the church: 6:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Friday Night Prayer special service to member's houses: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm